Welcome to St. Mary's College
St. Mary’s College (Autonomous), a premier institution of higher education, founded by the Congregation of Mother of Sorrows Servants of Mary in the year 1948, plays a significant role in shaping the destiny of innumerable young coastal women in and around Thoothukudi. With a proud legacy of 73 years, the college has excelled in every discipline keeping in pace with the global trends in the academia. Enhancing human dignity by empowering the women has been its main concern. Started primarily to benefit the catholic minority, the college strives hard to reach out to the society, mostly identified as economically backward and socially underprivileged. Slow and steady progress marked the growth of the college and higher education for women gained momentum. The strong back up of committed service rendered by the teaching faculty and supportive staff has brought many laurels to our institution. Quality initiative, Quality sustenance and Quality enhancement are the keywords of every activity.
To make young women agents of an egalitarian society through liberative education.
To empower women through regular and non-formal courses to make them economically independent and socially aware so that they make better homes and contribute to family and social progress.
- St. Mary's College was Re-accredited by NAAC with 'A+' Grade in May 2019
- A good and holistic curriculum with persistent updating at regular intervals suited to global demands.
- Committed and dedicated band of teachers bringing in innovations in teaching, learning and evaluation and providing rich theoretical inputs and practical experiences.
- Physically and technically sound campus with adequate infrastructure to supplement the teaching learning process.
- Regular conduct of resourceful workshops, seminars and orientation programs for staff and students to make them competitive and knowledgeable in accordance to current needs and demands.
- Acknowledging the knowledge divide and reinforcing research endeavors by upgrading most departments to become research departments and encouraging the pursuance of major, minor and community oriented research projects, doctoral and M.Phil. programs and publication of papers in high impact journals.
- Encourage and establish collaborations and expedite new ventures through wider networking and tie-ups and sign MOU’S with distinct institutions and individuals at the international, national and regional level.
- Promote social connect and community involvement of students and staff through multifarious extension activities and outreach programs.
The College Offers:
- 17 Under Graduate Programmes
- 13 Post Graduate Programmes
- 6 M.Phil Programmes
- 6 Ph.D Programmes